Fundraising tools

Whilst raising funds for your event you will obviously want to stay on the right side of the law - here's some tips to make sure that you do:

If you are organising a raffle please remember that:

Tickets may NOT be sold by under 16's.
You need to apply to your local authority or council for a license for any public lottery or raffle.
If it is a private event, for example if the tickets are sold to members of a private club or only your work colleagues, then a license is not required.

Events that involve music and dancing:

If this event is deemed by the local authority to be for charity then they should provide the license required free of charge.

The sale of alcoholic beverages:

You will need permission for alcohol to be sold at any event under the Licensing (Occasional Provisions) Act. It is possible for a local Landlord to apply for the license for you and then run the bar at your event.

Flyers, posters, leaflets etc:

It is very important that the your charity's Charity Registration Number appears on all printed documents and that you ask their permission before using their logo.

Rules for collecting money:

The legal minimum age for collecting money is 16, although in London it is 18 years of age.

In order to make a collection in a private area, for example, your local shopping centre or supermarket, then you will need the permission of the owner.

In order to make a street collection you will need to contact your local authority for a license and be prepared to submit a final total.

Gift Aid

Gift Aid can be worth an extra 25% to Buttle UK, please remember that we can only claim it if the person has paid more in tax (income tax or capital gains tax) than we will be claiming back and they haven't recieved anything in return, more detail can be found here. If you would like a Buttle UK Gift Aid form please download it here.

And most importantly:

Your safety is paramount.

We recommend that you do NOT raise money for your event by collecting on the street.

Please do not do anything unsafe or illegal – everything you do will reflect on the charity and their reputations are very important to them. If in doubt ask us first.

If you are organising your own event, or any other fundraising activity, we highly recommend that you draw up a plan in advance, taking into consideration the following guidelines:


Consider if you need any special training or equipment for your event or activity.

Conduct a risk assessment:

We recommend that you conduct a risk assessment to ensure that you have proper plans for the safety of all participants at your event or fundraising activity. The Health and Safety Executive has further information at

Medical assistance:

Consider what medical facilities are needed at your event (from a first aid box to a qualified first aider). For large events you might consider your local St John’s Ambulance.


You will need to find out if you require insurance cover and that you have the appropriate licences for your event or activity. Please note that Buttle UK cannot provide insurance for your activity. When holding events in public areas please make sure you are covered by the local authority public liability insurance

Check your route and location:

It is important that you have all the permissions and licenses you need, you may need to contact your local council.


Make sure you provide suitable supervisors or marshals, and that they stand out, this might involve wearing armbands or high visibility jackets or some way to identify them in case of emergencies.

Children :

Always supervise your children during any fundraising activity or event.


Please make sure your participants are fully briefed about the event, including possible risks, fitness requirements and any special equipment or clothing that they may need.

If you have any questions then please feel free to get in touch to ask.

Photos by Randy Heinitz / CC BY

Back to top