Skip Content

Information for Care Leavers

Whether you are a looked after child or care leaver- look out for further education colleges and universtities that have been accredited with the Quality Mark.

It ensures that the institution is commited to you and at the very least you can expect

  • A named contact. Every college or university with the Quality Mark has someone who is there to support Looked After Children and Care Leavers. They will talk to you about what they can offer you. 
  • Money. Specific financial support for students who have been in care - this might be a bursary (money to help you during your course which you don't have to pay back), or advice about what extra funding you might be entitled to as a care leaver. 
  • Accommodation. If you need help with where you are living while at college there is someone you can speak to. 
  • Support. Someone to talk to about anything you are worried about, no matter what it is. This person can support you personally or will direct you to someone else who can. 

To see what support you might be entitled to, take a look at the following FE and HE handbooks that have been put together for Care Leavers and Looked After Children.

England: The Who Care? Trust's HE Handbook 2014

Scotland: The Who Cares? Trust's HE Handbook 2014

Scotland: The Who Cares? Trust's Handbook for FE 2015

Wales: Reaching Wider: Higher and Further Education Guide


If you are applying via UCAS- they have made a video for care leavers on how to apply and explain why it is important to declare your status via the tick box that is specifically designed for young people from a care background.

Wondering what support you'll get from your Local Authority or Health and Social Care Trust if you do go to college or university? 

The links below provide you with more information.








We have created designated page with useful organisations and links that support looked after children, care leavers, professionals as well as practioners- don't forget to check it out!


Art & design students

Case studies and students' stories from several further education colleges and universities also provide you with an excellent insight of what it is like to study at an institution that holds the Quality Mark. Get in touch with the named contact to find out more!


Photo credits (Flickr): 1) Vancouver Film School - 'Animation and Visual Effects, Classical Animation Program'. 2) Tulane Public Relations - 'Three Students'.





  Quality Mark for Care Leavers

Look out for the Quality Mark- it means institutions are committed to looked after children and care leavers.  



QM Colleges

QM Universities